Monday, December 15, 2014

My Musical Advent Calendar

"Santa's Lost His Mojo" /
Jeremy Lister

Instead of a glitter-spangled scene with doors for every day of December, how about a daily treat from my iTunes holiday playlist?

Well, we still have several days to go until Christmas, so let's keep the mood light.  Here's another  kitschy Santa song, from former The Voice contestant Jeremy Lister:


Nashville singer-songwriter Lister was obviously having fun with this syncopated novelty song, first released on a 2008 compilation Ten out of Tenn.  His wry concept of a stressed-out Santa Claus going off on a bender isn't classic country, but close enough.

The bridge always makes me grin:  "Deck the halls with boughs of holly / We've got to get Kringle back to feeling jolly." But the part of this song that really sticks in my ear is that repeated lead-in  "ho, ho, ho, ho, oh no" climbing in backbeat rhythm up an ominous scale. That's the sort of hook that should have made Jeremy Lister more of a star.

I loved Jeremy's appearances on The Voice so much that I actually remembered him as having won his season -- Season 3, I think it was -- so I'm a little bummed to look on-line and find no record of him even among the finalists.  Well, since none of the top winners seemed to have made much of a splash since, I guess it's no surprise that he too seems still to be waiting for his career to gain traction. If nothing else, he's given us a holiday treat that keeps on giving.

You never know what you'll find when you dig around the internet. I'd much rather listen to something tongue-in-cheek like this than another frantically belted-out "All I Want For Christmas Is You," a tune which is well-nigh inescapable this time of year.  If you feel the same way, download this track from iTunes -- a struggling artist could really use the vote of support.

No comments: