Friday, July 09, 2021

Still Crazy After All These Years

 Well, it's been a while, and I've got no excuse. Except maybe the pandemic, and who isn't tired of hearing about that? So let's just strike a line through that and pick up where we left off. And my shuffle tells me this is a good track to land on. 


 

 

This single came out in 1976, just after I'd left the USA to live in England for a while. (Just as Paul Simon had, before the Sounds of Silence's strange revival re-launched his career.) 

But honestly, even though Simon and Garfunkel had been so significant in my musical upbringing, at this moment in time I had lost interest. As one does. 

At the time, I probably wouldn't have appreciated Simon's world-weary folk-rock shrug about meeting an old lover. Maybe I was too young to relate to the song's duality: Between nostalgia for the past and energy for new horizons. 

But I'm older now, and wiser. And -- yes -- this song now makes total sense to me. 

And here's hoping that, whatever goes down, I remain crazy, as needs be.

No comments: